The Parks Trust is an independent charity that cares for many of Milton Keynes parks and green spaces. This adds up to 5,000 acres of river valleys, woodlands, lakesides, parks and landscaped areas alongside the main roads – about 25 percent of the new city area.
Like many things in Milton Keynes, the Trust’s creation broke new ground. In most places parks are owned and managed by the local authority, but the city’s founders wanted to be sure that such a unique green landscape would be managed and protected forever, without having to compete for funds with other council priorities.
So The Parks Trust was created in 1992 to care for most of the city’s green space and was endowed with a substantial property and investment portfolio. The income from this portfolio pays for the vital work of nurturing and enhancing the landscape. We are entirely self-financing.
Vision and Values
"We care for beautiful and inspirational parks, lakes and landscapes that will be loved by the people of Milton Keynes, forever."
Everything we do is guided by five key values:
Environmental sustainability and enhancing biodiversity are key considerations in all that we do. We are committed to safeguarding our land for future generations and building the financial security of the Trust.
We develop and invest in our people to create a workplace where everyone's contribution is valued and respected.
We take responsibility for our actions. We are aware of the consequences of our decisions and are open and honest about how we take them.
We seek to form cooperative relationships that allow us to share expertise, listen and learn so we can respond to the needs of the community.
We are passionate about providing outstanding spaces where people can explore, play and reflect. We achieve this through our exceptional and dedicated staff, trustees and volunteers who bring pride and professionalism to everything they do.
What We Do
- We maintain 5,000 acres of parks and green spaces, including around 80 miles of landscaped areas alongside the grid roads.
- We continually improve our parks by providing new facilities, increasing biodiversity and enhancing habitats. We also work with developers, Milton Keynes Development Partnership and Milton Keynes Council to bring more green space into our stewardship.
- We organise over 200 events in the parks each year, provide environmental education programmes for hundreds of schools and nearly 6,000 children, and support a team of around 160 volunteers.
- We carefully manage our diverse investment and property portfolio and look to develop other income streams in ways that are compatible with our values in order to fund our work of looking after the parks in perpetuity.
For a detailed explanation of the Trust’s creation and operation click here.
Who We Are
The Parks Trust is governed by a Board of Trustees who are also Directors of the company. The Board sets the strategic direction of the Trust and ensures that the Charity is properly managed and complies with all relevant legislation. Trustees have a duty under charity law to ensure that the Trust’s assets and resources are only used to further the Trust’s charitable objects which are:
- To provide, maintain and equip green spaces in and around Milton Keynes
- To advance public education and
- To provide facilities for leisure and recreation.
For a list of our current Trustees click here
From time to time we recruit new trustees to the Board. If you would like to find out more please see Becoming a Parks Trust Trustee.
The Trust employs around 40 staff led by the Chief Executive, David Foster. The largest team is our Operations Team, responsible for the physical management of the green space including letting contracts and supervising our contractors and our direct works team. Our Community Team runs our education programmes, events, volunteer programmes and community involvement. We also have a Finance and Administration Team; a Property Team to look after our commercial property and a Communications & Marketing Team.