How To Make A Bird Nesting Box
Watch the video above and download this guide to find out how to make a bird nesting box for your garden with Laura from our Outdoor Learning team.
What you will need:
- 12mm exterior grade plywood (other wood could be used but may not be as long lasting)
- Hole saw or spade drill bit (to make an entrance hole)
- Thin panel nails and drawing pins
- Rubber strip or hinge for the lid
- Animal safe wood stain/paint
- Paint brush
How to make your nest box:
- Cut your wood into the sizes indicated on the help sheet below.
- Paint the wood. You only need to paint the sides that will face outwards.
- Assemble your box by hammering the thin panel nails or pins to join each piece. Do not attach the lid yet as you need to put this on a hinge so it can be opened for cleaning at the end of each nesting season.
- Use drawing pins to attach a thin strip of weatherproof rubber to the lid and back piece so that you can open and close the lid. You could use a hinge instead.