Hibernation - an extended period where an animal is inactive
Discuss with student’s what hibernation is, why animals hibernate and when they hibernate.
In the resource ‘Hibernation (KS1&2)’, our aim is to teach students about:
- Developing scientific language including terms "hibernation" and "torpor"
- Learning which animals hibernate for winter, and those who don’t.
- Understanding how and why animals build nests and dens
- Exploring their creative writing
Follow up this activity, with colouring in a squirrel and learning a quick fact about them, to get them thinking about animals that hibernate in winter. In addition, get them to build a nest for a bird after they’ve learned and understood why animals build nests.
Documents are suitable for all Primary ages with adaptations listed where necessary.
Explore our other primary school resources
- MinibeastsFrom bug hunting guides, to minibeast hotel building and learning how to develop your student’s scientific language, we have it all
- Nocturnal AnimalsDiscover what animals are nocturnal and what advantages they have of being active at night
- SeasonsDiscover your senses and the changing world around you!
- HabitatsDiscover a variety of habitat types in the UK and around the world.