The Parks Trust Trustee (two positions available)
Like most charities The Parks Trust, is governed by a Board of Trustees'. The Trustees' all live locally, are volunteers and are usually appointed to the board for a three-year term. They have ultimate responsibility for the sound professional, legal and financial management of the Trust and they set and monitor the strategic direction of the Trust.We particularly welcome applications from groups in society that are underrepresented on the current Board, including female and black, Asian and minority ethnic applicants.
- Location:Milton Keynes
- Salary:Voluntary position
The Board of Trustees' is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the Trust and ensuring it performs well. Because of the Trust’s significant role in the city’s future, being a Trustee is a position of influence and great responsibility, now and for future generations. Our Trustees are people who care passionately about Milton Keynes and who recognise the vital contribution the parks and landscape make to the city’s prosperity, and the quality of life of everyone living and working here. The role of Trustee is interesting and rewarding and one in which your knowledge and skills will be harnessed to make a really positive contribution.
All Trustees' need to have the following attributes;
- An appreciation of the greenspace in MK
- Appreciation of the benefits of the greenspace being managed by the Parks Trust
- A good understanding of our business model
- The ability to read and understand papers on a wide range of topics including financial investment, long term financial planning and consider recommendations
- Preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board or committee and willingness to speak their mind
- Good independent judgement and the ability to think strategically and long term and not to always focus on the detail
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- The time to commit to carrying out the role of trustee
- An understanding of how committees and boards work and how to make constructive input and play a full part in making the board/committee effective and enjoyable
- An understanding of the need to be impartial and objective and always act in the best interest of the Trust
- An understanding of the need for the Trust to engage with the whole community
- A willingness to make the effort to get to know the Trust’s land and attend events
We aim to have a diverse board of trustees' with a good mix of skills and experience, including;
From time to time we review the skills and experience on the Board and aim to recruit people with specific skills and experience to ensure gaps do not occur as trustees retire.
- Business management
- Financial Management
- Investment management
- Charity governance
- Community Engagement
- Commercial Property
- Outdoor learning
- Marketing and communications
- Land Management, Forestry and/or Farming
- Outdoor Sport and Leisure
The main purposes of the Board of Trustees' are;
- To set and monitor the strategic direction of the charity and to ensure that our strategy is aligned with the values and mission of the Trust;
- To ensure the Trust is properly managed and complies with all relevant law and has the resources, policies and structures necessary to be effective and ensure the highest standards of corporate governance;
- To set the way the Trust is governed and monitor, guide and authorise the work of its sub-committees;
- To approve all major decisions and policies and the annual accounts;
- To ensure that appropriate protection, systems, and checks remain in place to mitigate exposure of the Trust to major risks;
- To appoint and appraise the Chief Executive.
If you support our aims and are prepared to give some of your time to this important role, we would like to hear from you.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact David Foster Chief Executive on 01908 255390 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Can't see the ideal job? Why not send us your details anyway, so we can keep you in mind in the future?Send us your details