Facilities at Caldecotte Lake
Six things you won’t want to miss
- Tuck into lunch under the sails of our very own windmill at Caldecotte Lake. Home to family dining pub the Caldecotte Arms and the adjoining Premier Inn, you can relax as you soak up the scenic lakeside views.
- Challenge each other to a game of table tennis on the outdoor ping pong table or test your fitness on the trim trail - located near the Caldecotte Business Park, it features a number of pieces of outdoor gym equipment provided by Walton Community Council and is free to use.
- Calling all dinosaur lovers! Did you know that our lake is famous for the huge skeleton of an Ichthyosaur discovered during the lake’s excavation? Thought to be 150 million years old, the fossilised dinosaur can now be seen at Milton Keynes Central Library.
- From abseiling and archery to water zorbing and wind surfing, there is a children’s group activity centre, ideal for little ones looking for active things to do in MK. Overlooking the north section of the lake, the privately owned outdoor education centre (The Caldecotte Xperience, Action 4 Youth) offers residential accommodation, in addition to outdoor activities and team building.
- All aboard the Caldecotte Lake train! Run by volunteers from the M.K. Model Engineering Society, the fun miniature railway is open for rides every Sunday from April to October, including bank holidays and special event days.
- Children can burn off some steam in the colourful outdoor play area at Caldcotte Lake, complete with climbing frame, nest swing, roundabout and swing rockers. Have you visited Caldecotte Lake? Share your adventures with us on Facebook and Twitter. Tag us @theparkstrust
Regattas and family fun days are often held at Caldecotte Lake. Visit our events page for more information.
There’s more to Caldecotte Lake than its acres of beautiful parkland and watersports facilities – come and discover the variety of water birds and other wildlife at Caldecotte Lake that call its serene waters home.
If you’re a keen birdwatcher, you won’t want to miss the two bird hides at the southern end of the lake. The peaceful south shoreline is an excellent habitat for waterfowl, dragon and damselflies and the insects they feed on, making it a sanctuary for wildlife in Milton Keynes.
If you want sailing lessons or you’re an experienced rower, you’ll find the boating clubs at Caldecotte cater to all abilities. Milton Keynes Canoe Club, Milton Keynes Rowing Club and Milton Keynes Sailing Club all share a clubhouse at the water sports centre on the south east shore.
Please be aware that general access to the lake is prohibited unless you are part of one of the watersports clubs or part of a licensed event.
With over a mile of fishing bank, anglers will love Caldecotte Lake fishing. Stocked with roach, pike, bream and tench, the lake can be fished on a day ticket available from Milton Keynes Angling Association.
Caldecotte Lake parking
Free parking is available at the following car parking areas in Milton Keynes:
H10 Bletcham Way eastbound (hotel and play area), Monellan Grove, off H10 Bletcham Way westbound, Simpson Road, Simpson.
There is a private car park at Monellan Crescent, Caldecotte for the use of Caldecotte Lake Watersports Centre.
There are no public toilets at this site, however, the Caldecotte Arms has customers toilets during opening hours.
There are good all-weather paths around lake with some steep gradients at north end of lake.