Reveal, Revive, Restore the Heritage
Great Linford Manor Park is a special and wonderful place to visit, with a history that can be traced back at least to Saxon times. Many of its features, for example the Water Gardens and nearby Wilderness Garden, date from the 17th and 18th Centuries, when the park was laid out to provide the setting to the impressive Manor House (a private property) that still provides the main focal point in the park today.
However, many of the park’s historic features are now showing signs of age and awareness of the historic design has become eroded. We want to restore and reveal the park’s important heritage and to make it an even more attractive and interesting place to visit. Thanks to National Lottery players, in 2016 we secured ‘Round 1’ funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund [HLF] and the Big Lottery Fund to develop our conservation and restoration plans for the park.
During the development stage of the project in 2017 and early 2018, we carried out a range of technical studies into the park, investigations of the landscape features and undertook widespread consultations with park visitors, the local community and other groups about how they currently use the park and what they would like to see in the restoration project.
This work culminated in February 2018 when we submitted our ‘Round 2’ application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for full funds to deliver the project. The proposals include:
- Restoring the Water Gardens, including making the spring that feeds the ponds more visible and restoring and making accessible the ‘lost pond’ that was separated from the park by the construction of the Grand Union Canal.
- Providing paths and carrying out replanting in the Wilderness Garden to recreate the character of its original 18th Century design.
- Improving park entrances and gateways, including vehicle entrances and parking provision.
- Improving paths, providing more signage and interpretation.
- Providing a younger children’s natural play trail around the park and a ‘toddler’ play area next to the Memorial Hall.
- Delivering a wide-ranging programme of activities and events for the community to come and enjoy in the park and learn about its heritage.
A copy of the Project Master Plan can be downloaded here.
A copy of the Great Linford Manor Park Conservation Plan can be downloaded here
We will know the outcome of our Round 2 application to the Heritage Lottery Fund by mid-2018.